Penn State Brandywine
Fair Trade Resolution
- The Pennsylvania State University is the land-grant institution of Pennsylvania that provides unparalleled access and public service to support the citizens of the Commonwealth.
- Penn State Brandywine is part of a multi-campus public research university that educates students from Pennsylvania, the nation and the world, and improves the well-being and health of individuals and communities through integrated programs of teaching, research, and service.
- What we choose to purchase, eat, and drink impacts producers and the environment.
- Producers of agricultural and trade goods throughout the world are often paid less than a living wage and are subject to harsh working conditions.
- Child and slave labor have been found to be prevalent in the production of goods that we purchase on an everyday basis.
- Women are treated unequally in the production and trade of their products and may not have access to health care.
- Farming and production techniques in many areas of the world are harmful to the environment and run contrary to the principles of sustainability.
- The purpose of using and consuming Fair Trade products is to contribute to better livelihoods for producers, workers and their families; humane working conditions; respect for children’s rights; gender equality; and environmental sustainability.
- Many campuses across the world have committed to the purpose of Fair Trade.
- By becoming a Fair Trade University, Penn State Brandywine can more effectively educate the campus community and the community at large about Fair Trade.
- By becoming a Fair Trade University, Penn State Brandywine will prepare students to be socially responsible citizen leaders of a global society.
- By becoming a Fair Trade University, Penn State Brandywine will inspire other Penn State campuses, educational institutions, and organizations to support Fair Trade.
BE IT HEREBY RESOLVED
Penn State Brandywine declares itself to be a Fair Trade University in accordance with the criteria set forth by the Fair Trade Universities Campaign and commits to the following actions:
- Education: The campus commits to integrating Fair Trade information and events into the programs and culture of the school, to ensure that the principles of Fair Trade continue to be part of the policy and social fabric of our community.
- Dining and Vending: The campus will work with dining services to offer Fair Trade food and beverage choices in the cafeteria and vending machines.
- Catered Events: The campus will work with the food service contractor to make Fair Trade certified coffee, tea, and other items available at catered meetings and events hosted by the campus and student run organizations whenever possible.
- Offices: The campus will work with individual staff to make Fair Trade certified products available in the offices on campus, including but not limited to coffee, tea, and sugar.
- Stores: The campus will work with the bookstore vendor to supply Fair Trade products such as apparel and other gift items.
- Media, PA: The campus will continue and expand conversations with members of the Fair Trade Town Committee in Media, Pennsylvania, the first Fair Trade Town in the United States and location of Penn State Brandywine, to strengthen the Fair Trade movement in the area.
- Promotion: The campus will identify and promote Fair Trade products at campus functions and stores (e.g. with appropriate signage).
- Implementation: The campus, in conjunction with the student-run Fair Trade Committee, Laboratory for Civic Engagement, and the office of Business Services, will oversee the implementation of the above commitments.